Thursday, September 15, 2011

E.H.M.P. INTRODUCES M.A.D, MARLON "MAYOR OF KC.KS"


I meet MAD MARLON on Aug 26, 2011 on Grand Boulevard around the corner from Balanca’s Pyro Room the home base of The Elegant Hoodness Musical Program in KC Missouri. He had an awesome wrapped van with his logo and image on it with loads of promo. He gave me a yellow bag with an alien image on the bag in black, with a copy of his newest album and a poster inside the bag. His t-shirt also had an alien image on it and his sunglasses had white tape across his lenses in a x shape. His dreads were super clean and his swag was on point. You can tell the influence he has in the town and the fact that he knew it. I invited Mad Marlon to compete in our E.H.M.P competition and we chopped it up on how important it is for artists to self promote there product and to travel to develop a larger brand. Mad Marlon placed 3rd and is now nominated as for a Top Ten Artist’s of The Year Award Dec 21, 2011 in NY. Get to know “The Major of KC,KS.

MAD MARLON

E.H.M.P.: What does the name Mad Marlon mean?

MAD MARLON: Well between always looking angry in grade school and a south central friend of mine named Loon, nicked named my Lil brother Mad Man first. Then around early close to mid 90's it just came. Since my lil brother nick name was Mad Man, it was only right that I became Mad Marlon. I later came with the acronym for MAD Music Always Diversified. My mother wore a frown on her face the whole 9 months of her pregnancy. So, I was born with a frown on my face. Mad Marlon being my name was fate I guess.

E.H.M.P.: Where you born in Kansas City Mo? And how do you differ from the average Kansas City artist?

MAD MARLON: No! I was born in Kansas City, KS. It's right next door. We're what you call Twin Cities. I differ from the average KC artist. I think my difference is that I'll go to the extreme to rep the town from fashion, slang, dance, music and styles. I take more pride in representing my city. When you listen to my music you don't hear a certain coastal influence. Such as: slang, style, fashion, culture and music. When people think hip hop in Kansas City, Ks they should think of me. That has always been one of my goals. Also I represent my town from a musical stand point not from an environmental one. I differ also because I acknowledge that in order to put your city on the map; you got to see the rest of the map. I go out of my way to protect the culture of hip hop coming from a Kansas City, Ks, prospective.

E.H.M.P.: You have tremendous energy on stage and you make sure the audience is completely engaged by your performance. How important is it for you to connect with your audience?

MAD MARLON: Very important Tech N9ne, said "he's the pastor and the crowd is the congregation". That's a good way to put it. Also, "you can't download a live show" is what a wise man once told me "seeing a artist live show will give the crowd that one chance to truly see what you’re made of as an entertainer". Connecting with the crowd is the foundation of building a fan base.

E.H.M.P.: I notice that you seem to be pretty established in your city and you grind 24/7 for hip hop. Have you always pushed your own tours? And how important is it for you as an artist to tour in your local area and through out the country?

MAD MARLON: The idea of pushing my own tour came from an older cousin of mine Ric-Hard who stays in Hollywood, Ca. Instead of waiting on someone to take you on tour, he taught me how to get a wrapped van, hit the highway and go. You don't even need a wrapped van; I was driving all over the region years before I got my van wrapped. First get a map set markers in each city you want to go. Save up a budget get cd's, poster's or what ever you can get. Just cd's would do and hit the highway. Rather it be close by cities or far away as long as you’re on the road.

E.H.M.P.: I know you recently had the opportunity to travel with Snoop Dog. What was the name of the tour? And how was it performing with the legendary Snoop? And where can we currently see you performing?

MAD MARLON: The Doggumentary Thanks to Snoops Lil brother Bing and Ric-Hard. A chance to introduce my music to a Snoop Dog’s fan is a blessing from the gods of Hip Hop Check www.madmarlon.com for show and tour dates Or Facebook.com/gotmadmarlon

E.H.M.P.: When you sit down to write a song. Do you focus more on your flow or your lyrics?

MAD MARLON: I don't sit down to write songs anymore. Now the vibrations just come. It's like when I hear the best the lyrics just come. The flow could evolve at anytime from writing it, to recording it. It's like if I wrote a song Monday when I go record it Thursday, it's not going to have the some flow as it had Monday.

E.H.M.P.: Do you feel artists from the mid west are underrated?

MAD MARLON: Well when u say, Midwest what artist comes to mind nope I don't think we do.

E.H.M.P.: What or who would you say influences your sound and style?

MAD MARLON: 90's hip hop defiantly. The whole west coast thing influenced my fashion, my attitude and slang Ice Cube, E40, Kurupt and Redman were my lyrical influences. Who basically shape me; until I evolved into my own self contain artistry. Later it was the study of Rock bands from the 60's 70's that influenced my stage performance.

E.H.M.P.: Where do you hope to be a year from now?

MAD MARLON: -In the middle of a world wide global exploitation of Mad Marlon's Brand, on tour and Job free.

E.H.M.P.: Where can our readers and your fans download, buy or listen to your music?

MAD MARLON: iTunes , CDBaby, Digstation, www.madmarlon.com, rhapsody, amazon , emusic

E.H.M.P.: If the world can only remember you by one quote what would it be?

MAD MARLON: "Sometimes it's me Sometimes it's you. It's always us Together we are one Under the Sun".

E.H.M.P.: Any thank you and shouts outs?

MAD MARLON: S/o to every independent artist on planer earth. S/o to all my 's we're everywhere.

WRITTEN BY: A.D. THE GENERAL

COURTESY OF ELEGANT HOODNESS MUSICAL PROGRAM 2011'

No comments:

Post a Comment